I’m not really one for hippy dippy fads but the thought of using something pure and unrefined in my skincare routine does actually really appeal to me. Now I know using coconut oil is not a new thing by any stretch of the imagination people are rubbing it in all sorts of places these days!
I’ve been reading up on it and if the claims are anything to go by I’m absolutely kicking myself for not using it before as have had a 1.5 kg jar of organic pressed coconut oil sitting in my cupboard for the past few months (thank you Costco!).
The idea is to use it exactly as you would a cleansing balm, here’s how:
- Take about 1/2 a teaspoon amount in your hands
- Warm the solid up by your fingertips until it because an oil
- Rub the oil into your face as it dissolves the make-up / dirt from your skin – do this for a minute or so
- Soak a flannel / facial cloth in warm water
- Using the flannel / cloth take the oil residue off your skin
- Repeat if necessary
- Evens out skin tone
- Reduces size of pores
- Leaves skin feeling hydrated and moisturised
- Helps with acne
I have to admit I’ve never considered using coconut oil as a cleansing balm. Some people mix in essential oils, I personally think I’ll stick just with the oil as it comes.
What I thought:
- It does leave skin feeling soft
- Haven’t had any ‘break-outs’ yet…after 2 weeks of using it
- Obviously far better value than some balms
- Doesn’t feel as luxurious as the other ‘balm’ products I’ve used
- Whist it’s a great gap filler when you’re in-between products I’m not sure if it will become part of my every day ritual
Have you used coconut oil as a cleansing balm? What are your thoughts? What else do you use it for?